This gluten free and protein packed recipe makes a great breakfast or brunch option. These are rich in Protein, Iron, Magnesium, Selenium, Calcium, Beta Carotene, Vitamins B2, B5, B6, B9, B12, Choline, Omega 3, Antioxidants and Fiber.
The waffle recipe takes 15 minutes to make and it yields four waffles. Enjoy them with some avocado and/or my Beetroot Hummus (see other recipes) and/or organic sausages and/or some smoked salmon.
The waffles also keep well in the fridge (up to 3 days) and can even be frozen.
- 2 handfuls fresh organic spinach, washed and roughly chopped
- 1 handful fresh basil, washed and roughly chopped
- 2 organic eggs
- ½ tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup chickpea/graham flour (or any gluten free flour)
- a pinch of aluminum free baking powder
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (available from health food stores), or you can skip it
- half a cup of filtered water
- coconut oil to grease the waffle maker (depending on the type you are using)
Add the eggs, spinach, basil and chia to a blender (I used a Nutri Bullet) and blend until you get a soup like consistency. Mix in a bowl with the rest of the ingredients, I suggest you add the flour and water last – you should get a pancake consistency (if not adjust the flour/water proportions). Then cook based on your waffle maker instructions. Enjoy!