This easy to make vegan and gluten free Shepherd’s pie is packed with vitamins A, B, C, B6, B12, Folate, Beta Carotene, Flavonoids, Protein, Fiber.
It takes about 15 minutes to prepare and 35 minutes to bake and this recipe makes about 6 portions. Serve with my Minty Peas (see other recipes).
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 2 organic celery sticks, chopped
- 1 large organic carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 red onion peeled and chopped
- 1 small red chili, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 can tinned tomatoes (I like Mr Organic)
- 300 grams of lentils boiled for 15-20 minutes (ideally soak for 8 hours before boiling and rinse)
- ½ tbs dried thyme
- ½ tbs dried oregano
For the topping:
- 400 grams of sweet potatoes, peeled, chopped and boiled for 20 minutes
- 2 tbs Nutritional Yeast (can purchase from health food stores)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbs of avocado or coconut oil
- 10 grams parsley – to garnish
Sautee the onion in the coconut oil for 5 minutes and then add the celery, garlic, carrot, chili, spices, salt and pepper and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the lentils and the tinned tomatoes and cook for another 10 minutes. Take off the heat and pour into an oven proof dish. Make the topping by crushing the boiled sweet potatoes with the added oil and salt & pepper. Spread on top of the pie mix. Heat the over to 170 degrees and place a baking sheet underneath the pie (just in case it spills over). Bake for 35 minutes. Garnish with parsley before serving.